Ho Seng Giap
+65 6730 6068
LL.B. (Hons.), Bristol
Grad. Dip. Sing. Law, NUS
Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore
Corporate. Banking & Finance. Litigation & Dispute Resolution. Debtors & Bankrupty.
Why Tito Isaac & Co?
“We do things in the most correct and most honourable way we can. There are no shortcuts. Our duty is to tell the client what he needs to know, not what he wants to know.”
- Seng Giap is the Partner-in-charge of Tito Isaac &Co’s banking litigation portfolio.
- Since 2010, he has expanded the Firm’s banking practice and it now serves various banks and financial institutions; specifically advising on matters relating to credit cards, consumer loans, business loans, hire purchases and share/securities trading accounts.
- Seng Giap has also expanded the corporate practice department by having the Firm appointed to the panel of solicitors for a well-known local entity in the Food & Beverage industry along with its various subsidiaries. He also advises and directly handles the client’s legal matters.
- Seng Giap also assists and advises one of Singapore’s most eminent private education and enrichment service providers, having been appointed to its panel in 2020.
- In 2021, Seng Giap further expanded the Firm’s reach by being appointed to the panel of solicitors of two further institutional clients – one being a Singaporean multinational beverage conglomerate with a history of over 120 years, whilst the other is a French multinational biotechnology company that was established in the 1960s and of which the founding family still remains the majority shareholder.
- Beyond the office, whilst his playing days are now a distant memory, Seng Giap remains an armchair follower of non-Premiership and non-league football in England. Seng Giap is also an ardent connoisseur of heavy metal music.
Educational background & Qualifications
- University of Bristol, United Kingdom, 2007
Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- National University of Singapore, 2008
Graduate Diploma in Law, Singapore
- Admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court, Singapore, 2009
- Seng Giap has been with Tito Isaac & Co for 16 years. He started in the Firm as an intern in 2005 and rose through the ranks to become a Partner and Head of Banking Litigation focussing on the banking and corporate sectors.
- He is experienced in dealing with multiple corporate, civil and commercial litigation issues for banks and financial institutions.
- Seng Giap has argued applications relating to seeking summary judgment, discovery of documents, setting aside of default judgments, seeking peremptory orders, and defending applications for the same.
- He has acted in post-judgment enforcement proceedings such as Garnishee orders and Examination of Judgment Debtors, as well as Bankruptcy proceedings.
- Seng Giap has also been involved in Companies’ Winding-up applications, having successfully obtained numerous winding-up orders against defaulting judgment debtors on behalf of local clients in the banking and finance industry.
- Successfully argued for a client in a path-breaking, first of its kind legal case in Singapore. The team was appointed by a local securities trading house to challenge and revoke the approval given to a debtor’s proposed Voluntary Arrangement under the Bankruptcy Act. The debtor had allegedly amassed debts of more than S$300 million. After multiple hearings and appeals in the High Court (before Judges as well as Assistant Registrars), this saga culminated in a hearing before the Court of Appeal in February 2019, at which the apex court concurred that the Voluntary Arrangement was fraught with material irregularities and the approval previously granted at a creditors’ meeting should be revoked.
The case was reported in the Singapore Law Reports as there were no other known local cases that dealt with the same issue.
Case citations as follows: Aathar Ah Kong Andrew v CIMB Securities (Singapore) Pte Ltd and other appeals and another matter  2 SLR 164; Re Aathar Ah Kong Andrew  3 SLR 1242; Re Aathar Ah Kong Andrew  SGHC 124; Re Aathar Ah Kong Andrew  SGHCR 4.
- Successfully defended a client in the F&B industry against a claim brought in the High Court against one of its subsidiaries by a former licensee/stallholder at a local food court, and was also successful in resisting the said former licensee’s subsequent appeal to the Court of Appeal against the High Court’s decision.
- Ably argued in a case pertaining to the field of construction and renovation claims in the State Courts where the opposing party had a counterclaim 5 times the value of our clients’ claim but was ultimately only awarded nominal damages.
Why Tito Isaac & Co?
- “We do things in the most correct and most honourable way we can. There are no shortcuts. Our duty is to tell the client what he needs to know, not what he wants to know.”
IN THE MEDIA
(SAL Web site)
(The Straits Times)
You & The Law
(TV & Radio)
How may we help you?
LLP Reg. No. T07LL1728C | GST Reg. No. M9-0359250-C
We are a Limited Liability Law Partnership registered in Singapore under the Limited Liability Partnerships Act (Chapter 153A).